Happy Memorial Day Weekend! To kick off the festivities, I've teamed up with one of my favorite companies So Delicious Dairy Free to create a recipe that is perfect for all those holiday parties, potlucks, and brunches. You guys, I am really excited about this one! It's probably one of the best desserts I've ever made and happens to be gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free has no refined sugars or oils, and is totally vegan. I literally screamed, "YES" when it came out of the oven.
With cherry season right around the corner (and the fact that I am always looking for an excuse to make something sweet) I came up with this rustic cherry galette with an amaretto mascarpone filling then sprinkled it with toasted almonds and a big ole scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream. What is a galette you might be asking? It's basically a fancy word for a fruit pie that's not put into a pie plate.
When recipe testing for the blog, things don't always turn out the first time around, which can sometimes end up in a money pit of a disaster. This recipe however, still tastes good even when it doesn't come out perfectly. It's kind of foolproof! I did ended up making it three times to get it to that sweet spot to share with you all and would have made it ten times just to have the option of stuffing my face with galettes all weekend. Yep! I'll be eating this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the next few days. Ok, enough talk, let's get to baking!
1- Package Bobs Red Mill gluten-free pie crust mix or any pre-made gluten-free vegan pie crust of your liking.
1/2 6-ounce container So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Greek Coconut Yogurt
1/2 8-ounce container vegan cream cheese (I used Kite Hill Brand to keep it soy-free)
2 teaspoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon liquid stevia
2 cups fresh sweet cherries, pitted and halved
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Creamer
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
Toppings (optional but delicious)
2 tablespoons silvered almonds, toasted
1 pint coconut milk vanilla ice cream from So Delicious Dairy Free
A dusting of powdered sugar if you're feeling crazy!
1. In a medium mixing bowl, toss cherries, coconut sugar, arrowroot starch, lemon juice, vanilla and almond extract. Set aside and make the mascarpone.
2. In a small mixing bowl, add coconut yogurt, vegan cream cheese, lemon juice, almond and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
3. On parchment lined baking sheet, roll out chilled pie dough into a 14-inch circle. With the back of a spoon, spread mascarpone filling from the inside out leaving a 2-inch border to the edge of the dough. Pour cherry filling on-top of mascarpone. Fold edges up and over the filling all the way around creating pleats until the filling is nice and tucked in.
4. Brush pie dough edges with almond milk creamer and sprinkle with coconut sugar (this will give the galette a beautiful crust and is a great vegan alternative to using an egg wash).
5. Bake at 400F degrees for 40-45 minutes until crust is golden brown and cherry filling is bubbly. Let cool for at least 1 hour before serving. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and a few generous scoops of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Note: The mascarpone filling firms up as it cools so the longer you let it cool the firmer it will be. This is great served warm, at room temperature, or chilled with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.