It's almost Valentine's Day which means sweet treats galore in all my favorite shades of pink! Usually around Valentine's Day, I gravitate towards the timeless strawberry chocolate combo but decided to switch it up and try something new this year.
I have always had a love affair with crepes but tend to only make them once or twice a year for a special occasion. Since I don't make them often, I've never quite mastered a vegan + gluten-free recipe that was equvilent to it's gluten counterpart, until the other day when I dreamed up this decadent fuschia dessert. Turns out, it was way easier than I thought it was going to be. Don't get me wrong, I did try five versions of crepe batter before getting to the end result which might just become a new weekly tradition.
Beet juice give these crepes there rich color without adding any chemical food colorings and don't worry, you can't taste the beets! The whipped coconut yogurt and fresh tart berries create a light and refreshing treat while remaining gluten-free, dairy-free, and contain no refined sugars or oils. This recipe can be made for breakfast or as a post dinner dessert. Enjoy!
Serves 4 (makes 12 crepes)
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour (I used Bobs Red Mill brand)
1 1/4 cups So Delicious Coconut Milk Vanilla Creamer
2 egg replacer ( I used Ener-G Foods)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup fresh beet juice
2 tablespoon melted vegan butter ( I used soy free earth balance)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
Whipped coconut yogurt
1 cup So Delicious Cocowhip Original, defrosted
2 6-oz containers So Delicious Plain Coconut Greek Yogurt
2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
1/4 cup light agave or sweetener of choice
1. In a medium bowl whisk together gluten-free flour, salt, baking powder, and xanthan gum until combine. Add vanilla creamer, egg replacer, water, beet juice, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until batter is almost smooth. Don't worry about a few small lumps.
2. Heat skillet on medium. Grease skillet with coconut oil or vegan butter and pour about a 1/4 cup mix onto center of pan. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
3. When you see the crepe start to bubble on top (1- 2 minutes), flip over and cook another other side until done.
1. In a small mixing bowl add coconut Greek yogurt and Cocowhip Original. Whisk until light and fluffy.
1. In a high-speed blender add strawberries and agave. Blend on medium for about 20 seconds until almost smooth.
1. Fill each crepe with about 2 tablespoons whipped yogurt and too with fresh berries. Fold in half and then in half again. Drizzle with strawberry purée.